Monday, September 30, 2013

Lessons From My Mama



Let me take you back. Back to March 2013 (ok, so not that far back!).

The Princess had just finished partying it up to celebrate her 5th birthday at the local skating rink.

Then we went to Nanni and Poppy's house to finish the celebration. Sometime over that weekend, my mom (Nanni) lost her wedding ring. Nanni and Poppy have been married now 32 years. And this was not her original engagement and wedding ring set.  If I was a good daughter, I would know when she changed but I do know it was sometime around my own wedding that she "upgraded" to a single solitary diamond, and had the original stones placed in a new wedding band. 

But now thinking back, I can't remember when or why she changed again....

But I do know that she had this new one specially made for her and it was BEAUTIFUL. Perfect like her. Perfectly unique, one of a kind, as only my mother truly is.


Now back to March. She was so devastated. She hadn't had it long. And she was sick with worry. But even so, she always said, "It's not lost. It has to be somewhere. I'm not giving up."

Over the next 6 months, we would think of a silly place that it might have ended up, each time coming up empty handed. Honest to goodness, I thought it was gone forever.

And then I got this email this morning:    

"Grandma (my great grandma, my dad's father's mother, who is 97 years old) fell last night while we were out with friends.  She is ok. I called her this morning to check on her and we were chatting when I stuck my hand down into the chair in the living room, felt something and pulled out my wedding ring!!!

We are celebrating today and opening a bottle of 1988 Dom Perignon champagne that one of my clients gave me!  I am soooooo on cloud nine :)
Thanks for the almost 6 months of praying to St. Anthony.  I just felt all along that I would find it eventually.  I must have looked in that chair (and all the others in the house) at least a dozen times.  My sitting in it must have pushed it out of its hiding place :)
When our friend gave his wife her 25th anniversary ring recently, I was almost ready to "let"..... :) .....Mike buy me a new ring.
I love you all!
Debbie"



Mom sent this to all of her family and friends, as they knew the sad fact that it had been missing.


We are not Catholic, and I do not even know much about St. Anthony. (I googled it right after though!) Heck, we are not even that religious of a family on the whole. But I have learned a very valuable lesson through all this- 

that even when no one else believes it, 
have faith.
Let your heart be your guide. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment