Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Day 6's Often Unnoticed and Unappreciated Thanks


If you don't work in a school, or have children who go to school, you may not have ever thought about the job of "lunch lady." And if you do have children in school, you may not have realized that they have one of the most unnoticed and under-appreciated jobs in a school.


Today, on this beautiful fall day, I am so thankful for the delicious bowl of chili they made just for me (well ok, me and 250 students!). 


Most people think of this when they hear the words "lunch lady." The stereotypical lunch lady- old, fat, hairy, and mean.




But in reality, the lunch ladies are what holds the entire day together, and should be regarded more like this:




They save the day, kicking butt in the cafeteria every day!
 
Everyone looks forward to lunch. The kids can't wait to 1.) eat, and 2.) talk and 3.) run.

Teachers love the 30 minute break from hearing their name repeated over and over, and a few minutes to catch up in the teacher's lounge, or in my case, to rock out in my classroom! Plus, I am usually starving by 11:00, and I get a little cranky when I'm hungry...

 

Most days, I bring my lunch from home. But days I am running late, or don't have anything to eat at home, I know I can rely on the beautiful ladies down in the cafeteria to make me a delicious salad, complete with chicken, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, and croutons.  Or in today's case, a big bowl of homemade chili!

Thanks to all the lunch ladies out there- you provide a nutritious, balanced meal,to help fill children's bellies, which helps them to stay focused throughout the rest of their school day. And in some cases, this meal may be the most food they get each day, which means you are also saving a life. Please know your job matters, and we are blessed to have you.


No comments:

Post a Comment