Monday, November 11, 2013

Eleven-Eleven

I always love Veteran's Day. And no, I don't get the day off! I'm very thankful that our district does not have students stay home on this day- I believe the children appreciate the significance of the day more if they are in class learning about it.



Every year my school (along with others across the nation) gathers in the gym for a 45 minute recognition of our Veterans. And every year it brings tears to my eyes to hear those sweet angelic voices singing praises and thanks to all those who serve. They nervously approach the podium to speak the words of a grateful poem into the microphone for all the audience to hear. 
The audience is filled not only with staff and students, but Veterans from family members of our students are welcomed as well.
This year we were even blessed to have two Veterans (husband and wife!) come speak to our kids about their time in the military and how they were once just kids too. Then we end traditionally, with the playing of "Taps" by our very own music teacher. 

I am so grateful that I live in the country of the free and the brave. Thank you to every single person who was, is or will be a member of our Armed Forces. You have my utmost respect and blessings forever.   
 


No comments:

Post a Comment